So most of you wanted the solution released. Those of you who don't, avert your eyes. Here it is:
I wanted to use an encryption method that was both elegant and decodable on paper, but not as simple as switching X for E etc.
After a bit of research, I chose to use a part of the VIC cipher as my encryption technique. The part I chose was called a straddling checkerboard. The VIC cipher was used by a soviet spy by the code name VICTOR and is considered the most complex cipher that doesn't require a computer to use. It completely stumped the NSA for the 4 years of its use in the field.
While the VIC cipher may have been nearly unbreakable, the straddling checkerboard I used was not. I could have added a few more layers to the encryption with a non-carrying addition or some extra transposition, but then you might have thought it unfair.
Anyways, here is how it would be decoded. All on paper, just to prove how you could do it: (click on the images to expand them)
Page 1 & 2
Page 3 & 4
Page 5 & Appendix
Sorry about the quality folks, but I do not own a scanner... The contrast has been pumped up so I hope that helps.
In case you didn't see it, the decoded message reads:
CARRY THE TORWCH HIGH DONT GO QUIETLY RW
Thanks, and I hope you enjoyed the puzzle.
No comments:
Post a Comment