Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What Would YOU do?

Could human behaviors be predicted, could we write a long formula that eats up our thoughts, our feeling, our fears and then spits out our future? Do we want something to? I know that if my future was assured, I would be pretty content. Isn't that the whole idea of religion? To predict the future and to somehow influence it. Most people like the idea of somehow being controlled by something of someone else. We like just going along with it because it is easy. Anything bad happens and its not our fault, its god's fault, our our horoscope's fault. I was watching America's Next Top Model and whenever one of them gets eliminated, they always say how the "judges just didn't see this..." or "they made a mistake about this..." none of them own up to the fact that maybe, just maybe, they had something to do with it. The blame is always being lifted off of their shoulders. However, some rare people actually are leaders. They "make their own fate." They don't wait around for something to happen, they get out there and DO it. We all strive to be like them, but very few of us can. I don't know if I am, maybe/hopefully a bit...
Take a look at yourself, are you a leader or a follower? Don't judge on your experiences, really look deep. If someone has to step up and lead, what would you do? Would you step up to the plate, or cheer on whoever else did? Does that make you a good person? Could you be better?

-By the way, Kudos to Catherine Jinks, whose book "Evil Genius" got me thinking about all this.

torwch out...

2 comments:

  1. Agreed, religion for some people can just be a scapegoat for their actions, a means to justify what they do as being some part of divine purpose. But if as you say, the few individuals who take fate into their own hands, they never have to worry about when are they going to have to blame religion for their mistakes. They are free to make their life however they want it, the burden and their mistakes of this make those people stronger as well, makes them more aware of the reality of the world around them. So in a sense by taking fate into our own hands, our behaviour is predicted, we eat up our thoughts, feelings, and fears and decide what our future should look like. We see the mistakes of others and are vigilant enough to make sure we do not go down the same path. Our minds are free and we can explore whatever we want and have the ability to accept our mistakes if we make any and use them as lessons to not do it again. I personally try and live by what you said, taking my future into my own hands. Any mistakes that I might make I remember them and use them as life lessons to change my life for the better part. Even though if I do mess up, and the blame is on no one else but me, my mind is still free to wake up in the morning and decide, "Okay, what do I want to do with my life today and what do I want to make happen". I do not have to wait for a sign or instruction as to what I should do next. The fact that you wrote this article answers your question that you are someone who takes fate into their own hands. If you did not, you would not question these kind of things, you would be too afraid to question why things happen the way they do in fear that they would backfire and mess your life up somehow. With the world and all its troubles today, we could use more thinkers like you, keep it up.

    FDNE

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, i think there is a new science that try to formulate thoughts. It is call brain and cognitive science i believe...

    ReplyDelete