Within the next few decades, the last few societies that survive as hunter-gatherers will make the switch to food production. Humans began their struggle towards today as hunter-gatherers, indeed our closest relatives, the Chimpanzees, also exist as hunter-gatherers.
When the last Aboriginal Australian decides to buy food from a supermarket instead of gathering it as they traditionally would, when the last isolated tribe in the Amazon decides to begin growing the seeds that the "civilized" missionaries offer to bring them, humankind will lose the last of their commitment to the hunter-gatherer lifestyle.Barring some world-wide natural disaster and the breaking down of food distribution from farms to the city's tables, humanities shift from living off the land, to cultivating the land will be permament.
Is this a loss we should be concerned with?
Or is this progress that we should celebrate?
I believe that this is definite progress, another sign that humans are not monkys with larger-than-average brains. I am interested if any of you hold the opposite opinion, not just so I can argue the point more later (I kid, I kid), but mainly because I geniunly don't know if there is any way to prevent this loss. How can we justify some people still living like this?
No comments:
Post a Comment