The empowerment that one gains from blogging is amazing. I don't like something I see or hear about, and I go blog about it. And then, and this is the best part, all the people who agree with me read it and agree more. The people who often don't agree with me don't read it, and I never hear their opinions. Its win-win!
Now here's to hoping that that little spiel didn't drive you away, because I have here now the point I would like to make. As I was watching them award Kathryn Bigelow (congrats on the 2 gold "no longer only" men) the oscar for Best Picture (the only part of the Academy Awards I watch), I was suddenly struck by a rather unusual thought.
It went something like this: Imagine if no one watched the Oscars... If they still took place, but no one lined up outside to see the "stars" and no one watched them on TV. If the only people who knew anything about it, the only people who decided who won what, the only people who's lives it actually touched; were the celebs... and the producers, and the directors, and the few unknowns. Now as I was turning this scenario around in my mind, the proverbial "it" put out its shoulder and knocked me to the pavement. Truth be told, what I just described there is pretty much how the Oscars work:
The award recipients are chosen by AMPAS, of which the largest voting bloc is actors themselves. As the Oscars are voted on by members of the entertainment industry, usually the largest films that touch (read pay) the most people do the best. Not surprisingly, the Oscars have been sometimes boycotted. The most notable of these is probably Marlon Brando who turned down his Oscar for Best Actor in The Godfather. George C. Scott called the Academy Awards "a goddamn meat parade" and refused his award for Best Actor in 1970.
As a huge movie fan (the Apple page with all the upcoming movie trailers is my homepage) I respect all film-makers, actors, and the incredible gifts of entertainment that they are able to create. However, the outdated and rather exclusive club that has become the Academy Awards has to go. Look past the glitter and lace. Is it really about the film-making or just about who dropped the most cash?
*Cough-cough-avatar-cough*
I'd like to thank my producers, my family, and most of all my fans... Without the ten of you I'd be nothing!
-Torwch
Guess who.
ReplyDeleteThis is probably your most bearable post, I thought Avatar sucked, and this was quite insightful.
I'm a movie fan too, seen Dead Man? That's the best movie I've seen recently.
Anonymous, you loveable rascal, is that you?
ReplyDeletehe's a new guy Clay... call him Stranger
ReplyDeleteand to you, Stranger, Torwch = pasta
Sorry, Stranger, my mistake. Welcome aboard!
ReplyDeletehow odd, our profiles have links that you can click on, stranger does not
ReplyDeleteso that's how you do it, clever cogs
ReplyDeleteeh...
ReplyDeletemaybe explain this site in 25 words or less, pique my enthusiasm or you probably won't hear from me again
good talk?
The site in 25 words or less?
ReplyDeleteTorwch discusses science and technology, and the funny things about them. I do the same with history and psychology. Basically, if it's funny, and decently smart, we'll write about it.
So whaddaya say?
ok now torwch's turn
ReplyDeleteI'm not an author of the site, but as the only regular follower, I think I'm entitled to say a spiel.
ReplyDeleteThe posts range from serious and thought provoking to hilarious and random. They're generally (bus posts excluded) quite intelligent, and definitely worth the read.
We also do bar mitzvahs and anniversaries.
ReplyDeleteA (short) poem should suffice.
ReplyDeleteInstant Martians:
I stood at the bottom
of a long, long hill.
I looked future in the face and said:
I can't wait.