Sunday, December 20, 2009

Toychests and Schizophrenia

I visited my relatives in jolly old Victoria this weekend, which explains the unnatural silence you might have observed. Whilst there, I found my uncle's large collection of old books. I scanned through the Tom Clancy and Robert Ludlum, and found a book that really caught my attention: a memoire of Tim Allen, one of my favoritre comics and actors. Upon returning, two things became very apparent. One, my basement was flooded for God knows why, (my laundry room and storage room are ankle deep in ice cold rainwater), and more relevant in terms of this post, this man has a great grip on motives. Two passages come to mind that I wanted to discuss.

The first was, in hindsight, a remarkable insight on why guys like war so much. The answer, is simply,  the toys are so incredibly awesome. Let's face it, without the grenades, rifles and robots with grenades and rifles, war is not all that cool. You get to live in squalid conditions, get no comforts of any sort, and are likely to die at many points in your day. But getting a chance to wear that awesome arctic camoflague and shoot bullets at stuff, well isn't that just almost too cool to pass up. That's also why war is appealing in video games and playing in general. Jacks is fine, but until we add half-pipes and roller-blades, guns win that footrace.

The second, is something I've probably mentioned, if not already demonstrated. Allen said, and I agree, that you need at least 4 different personalities to function in today's so-sie-ee-tay. Yourself when your hanging out with buddies, yourself around your love intrest/girlfriend/wife, yourself around adults (including friends parents), and yourself when you're by yoursef. I have noticed that the more smoothly you can transfer between these 4 phases, the more "adjusted" you are. Also, this allows for asnother "love is" metaphor that my wussy "you, by yourself" mode is dying to share: dating is seeing if you like the person's "hanging out" mode, liking someone is being able to tolerate their "by themselves" mode, and love is actually liking it. (Love is also the dyslexia you didn't know you had coming out stronger than usual, but I'll delve into that one later, preferrable never.)

Tadah. Hope these gems will satisfy you until Christmas, because I intend to enjoy mah holidays until then. Right on Boxing Day, I have big plan for a week long thing, so watch out for that.

Cryptography is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment